Friday, June 12, 2009

The Meaning of Life, It Could Very Well Be Monty Python's

I've been having a difficult time coming up with material lately. Not only have I been busy with the end of the school year and all that encompasses, but I've not been feeling the funny. Instead, unlike me, I've been feeling really contemplative.

The end of the school year often strikes me this way. In our lifestyle, the end of the school year signals an influx of new people trickling in throughout the summer as well as the loss of old friends who go on to better other places. It's the loss of the old friends that causes more contemplation than the discovery of new friends, but they are all on the same continuum.

What makes people want to leave their home country and live in a foreign place? What makes them begin to treat friends as though they are family and to rely on strangers in ways sometimes more than they would relatives? What makes a familiar accent the most beautiful in the world?

In addition to all of these gains and losses, I'm also completing my bachelor's degree after 16 years. This has left me more than a little contemplative in and of itself. Because of the above lifestyle, a bachelor's degree does me very little good. Here, in my very last class (which fittingly is called "Cyberpsychology: An Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction"), I don't know why it was such a big deal to me to get this degree. It does me absolutely no good. And finally, I completely understand all of those "trailing spouses" (the term used by the U.S. Department of State) who left their careers to follow their spouses to new and exotic locations that many of them absolutely hate. Now, I know that I earned the degree for me. For my peace of mind and for my own personal satisfaction. But as far as being able to gain employment with it...nada. The jobs that are available to me are of the administrative assistant type and ones that I could hold whether or not I had spent half my life and much of my money getting a useless degree in psychology.

Don't get me wrong. I'm proud of myself. It took me a very long time to get that degree and I had a lot of setbacks during that time (I'll have to reserve the complete story of college education for another post. I can shorten it to this: I was one of the ones in high school who was put into the "she's a very smart cookie, but unfortunately her parents can't or won't pay for her education, so she'll be flipping burgers for the rest of her life. No need to invest any time in helping this one." category).

I'm just questioning. Contemplating. Wondering what it's all about.

And where to go from here.

9 comments:

  1. Well done you, you smart cookie you. There's no better time to contemplate than when completing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You've worked hard and no matter how long it took, you never gave up and finished. That says a lot.

    And you are right, this one is about you. Who cares if you don't get a job because of it. You did this for you and that's all that counts. Enjoy your success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be glad of your accomplishments!

    It's not always easy for me either to come up with anything I feel great about posting. Do "professional" writers publish daily? I think not.

    Take care, be good to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The important thing is that you did it. In doing so, you've shown your kids that you value education and hopefully one day they will follow in your footsteps.

    As far as the job situation, even as an administrative assistant (for the time being) a psych degree helps you understand people, their motivations, what makes them tick, etc. There are difficult people everywhere and a background in psych helps manage those people. It gives you the edge on EQ which is more important than IQ these days.

    If you know what you want to do, I would get a masters degree before you leave Warsaw while you still have the free time to do so. A Masters is the new bachelors, but I would only advise it if you want to go the professional route (anything that requires licensing). It will make you more marketable when you finally do go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WooHoo!! Congratulations Kylie! This is a wonderful achievement, and nobody can ever take that degree away from you. Where to go from here? Meh, that'll figure itself out but meanwhile - enjoy the accolades, you have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!
    The end of school year as a special affect on me, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The subjects of your contemplation are worthy. I would say one thing: I very much feel that college degrees should not be about future income; they really, really should be about the learning alone, about having had an opportunity and availed oneself of it and, after intense application, crossed a certain finish line.

    In my profession (as a teacher, no less!), I hardly use a thing from my college education, but every day I still am actively grateful that I got to take Russian Literature and Faust and Japanese Cinema and, and, and.

    Keep thinking. This is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fall into a similar category. I made it to LA on my own life savings. With the help of financial aid and working a couple of jobs, I made it in four years because I knew I won't be able to afford staying an extra year. My mom tried to help, but really I knew we had no money. Dad said he'd help out, but those were just his empty words. He's been out of the picture for years now.

    It sucked working through college. I was quite jealous of those who didn't need to do so, but I have to admit, I walk out with my BS a smarter and better person for it. Obviously, you had more to go through than I did, so I can't imagine the life experiences you've gained through it all.

    Also, imagine the impact your story is going to have on your kids! They're going to be so proud of you and it's going to push them further into their own successes. CONGRATULATIONS!!

    With all the wondering and contemplating, I hope you come to a satisfying conclusion on everything.

    I'm sorry I hope all this made sense. I went to my own graduation drunk. I haven't been drunk since, but I'm pretty tired running from ceremony to ceremony and taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If, after you get your degree, you never use it, you still absolutely ROCK, Sister! Look at what you've done! AND you did it for yourself, which is the right reason to do it!

    I know SO many people here in the States who don't use the degree they earned. Hell, when I got into my current company, the work I was doing had NOTHING to do with my degree, and now that I've changed positions, my work just barely has anything to do with PR.

    Having said all that...Hmmmm....Cyberpsych. I'm guessing most bloggers have issues. Why else would you daily spill your guts into the ether? Maybe you could set up a Cyber Practice for all us head cases? We could lay on our own couches, with our laptops and spill our guts to you! It could totally work!

    Do you take Visa? :o)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated! I love to hear the nice and clever things you have to say.

Anonymous comments will be deleted. Think of this as 1st grade and always put your name on your work:).