Wednesday, May 07, 2008

You say it's your birthday!

Today is Dylan's birthday and our anniversary. I'm going to be sappy today, just warning you.

We've been married for 14 years and there's so much I have learned over that time together, but really I want to tell a story. I won't go into great detail, because I don't want to share everything, but a la How I Met Your Mother, kids, I'd like to tell you the story of how I met my husband (it just won't take me several TV seasons to tell my story;).

We met in 7th grade Texas History with Mr. Egland. I remember clearly when he couldn't pick up his books (back then corporal punishment was allowed in schools in TX, they must have made it illegal shortly after that) and I picked them up for him. He asked me a question at some point, and I answered (I was PAINFULLY shy and I was bullied, so I tended to be VERY quiet) and he shouted "She speaks!" and I didn't talk to him for the rest of the year.

The next year, we were in history again together, U.S. this time. I got to know him better, and I was in class with some of my friends so I was more comfortable at that time. I don't remember much about 8th grade.

For 9th -12th we had an on again/off again relationship. After high school, I met up with him again, we started dating. We got married. That's pretty much the story (there's more details, but again, I'm leaving them out).

Here we are then:Yes, I was pregnant. VERY pregnant (Pamela was born one month to the day after this photo), and I had just turned 20.

No one thought our marriage would last. Several times, I didn't think it would either. I didn't know what love was exactly, for many reasons, but Dylan totally did. And he's always loved me, even when I've been psychotic and not entirely sure that I loved him, but now I know that I have always loved him (well at least since 9th grade - remember that bit about being painfully shy...yeah, didn't like him so much in 7th).

Dylan always knew that we were meant to be together. ALWAYS. He's my lobster.

We have 4 beautiful children. A fabulously interesting, yet equally dull life (it needs to be that way, too much excitement can kill you;). He's a hilariously funny, involved, loving, ambitious person, who has made me a better person just by being here. I love him.

Here we are today, if viewed through Andy Warhol's eyes:

I have to say, I wish Andy Warhol lived here...then I'd always be pretty:).

(and yes, I did put that up on the red wall, it looks totally amazing there:)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you? How many years..you didn't say!

    Love the Andy Warhol's picture of the two of year.

    Happy Birthday to Dylan..how you two have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story...keep proving them wrong Honey*!*

    Happy Birthday
    Happy Anniversary
    Have a happy many more*!*

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated! I love to hear the nice and clever things you have to say.

Anonymous comments will be deleted. Think of this as 1st grade and always put your name on your work:).