Thursday, June 19, 2008

People, STOP TALKING TO ME!

Whenever I am on my bike on the lovely trail that we have between my house and Toby's school, people stop and talk to me. Usually they ask me directions, often they ask me where I was able to find that trailer (I tell you, I am a spectacle!). Sometimes though, they ride up next to me and want to have a conversation.

My Polish is very limited. I can tell you how to get to the park ("Straight. Hotel name "Ant" turn right. Straight still, up hill."). I can tell you where I bought the trailer (in VERY limited Polish, consisting only of "In Germany.")

When those people pull up next to me and start conversing with me, I usually just smile and nod. If you are ever in a foreign country (or in your own for that matter) and speaking with someone who smiles and nods, they don't know what you're talking about. You can just stop talking to them.

This was much funnier in my head:).

7 comments:

  1. LOL..well, I guess you just look nice and approachable. Now if they ONLY knew what you were thinking they would probably call you not so nice names!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been tagged..visit my blog to see what for. If you want to play along, that's great. If not, that's okay too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...i tagged you too..so you are gonna have to do it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is me every day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm snorting laughing...REALLY*!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was funny in my head too!

    But I feel your pain. With the people talking and the funnier in your head posts.

    I suggest you just start winking uncontrollably. Really weirds them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. everyone in Warsaw asks me for directions as well! Like you I can only just about say 'left' 'right' and 'straight on'. So far out of about 50 people who have asked for assistance I have only been able to help one person (because they asked for an address next door to our apartment and were about 20 steps away).

    Aside from directions I always fall into the mistake of saying 'Tak' (yes) even though I've no idea what people are saying - it's a very bad tactic as the conversation then progresses for another 15 minutes until they realise you are some kind of villiage idiot. I think the winking tactic is far funnier - I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated! I love to hear the nice and clever things you have to say.

Anonymous comments will be deleted. Think of this as 1st grade and always put your name on your work:).