Friday, November 07, 2008

Or You Could Say, "I'd like a sandwich, please"

I have two boys who are set in their ways. One insists that I pack the exact same lunch for him every day of his life. When I have suggested anything other than a ham and cheese sandwich, yogurt, chocolate milk, an apple and a package of Scooby snacks, he nearly has a nervous breakdown. God help me if I suggest that he BUY LUNCH from the school cafeteria. He would just as soon die right there.

My other one comes home for lunch. He also insists on the same thing every day. Pooh Bear wants a Nutella and peanut butter sandwich, every day of his life. For those unfamiliar with Nutella it's chocolate spread, like peanut butter, but it's chocolate. So I feed my son a peanut butter and chocolate sandwich for lunch. I suppose I could skip a step and just feed him Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but those are hard to come by here.

Some days he will request this for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. (I don't give in, you don't need to report me to CPS).

But one day, he said he wanted something different. So I left him to decide. We have MANY other kinds of food. He sat in the kitchen for 20 minutes trying to decide what else he may want.

Finally he said, "Cheetah tost".

I said, "Um, what?"

"Heetah tost."

I should mention that Pooh Bear was effectively deaf from the time he was 18 months old until he was 3 years, so sometimes his speech is a bit off.

"Pooh, I don't know what you're asking for. Can you show me?"

"Heetah tost!" And he points to the bread.

A few moments of me staring at him in confused silence.

"You want a sandwich?"

"Yes. Heetah tost."

"Oh, Chyba tost! Tak, tak. Rozumiem!"

He'd been speaking to me in Polish all along. The curses of a bilingual school.

12 comments:

  1. That is so adorable! I almost forgive you for calling Nutella peanut butter but chocolate. It's hazelnut butter and chocolate. I should know and have the ass to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marinka - yeah, I know it's Hazelnut butter - and it's awesome!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I remember Nutella from my years in Europe. I never thought of combining it with peanut butter, though. Which is weird, because I LOVE the PB/chocolate combo.

    Heehee, I was the same way as a kid...I absolutely had to have the same breakfast, lunch, snacks etc. And heaven help my mom if she decided to make a new item for dinner...if I hadn't already eaten it 100 times, I wasn't interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I forgot - would you mind if I added your blog to my blogroll? It's the only way I can keep track of everyone I like to visit! If you'd prefer I didn't, that's OK - just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Our boys are so alike. Nicholas insists on the same thing for lunch everyday and many times it comes back because he is totally bored eating the same everyday. Drives me nuts! The other rugrat on the other hand is a little connoisseur of all things edible. I don't know what I would do if she were the same as Nick in the eating department. I look forward to hearing more tales from the Hundred Acre Woods! That should be your new blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kid speaks Polish and English. Man, I feel dumber every day. The German Shepard across the street understands Hebrew and English. A DOG understands more languages than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so all other Kylie friend's don't shoot me, but Kylie and I have been out of touch for a while and I have gone back and read as many blogs as I can but....What happened to Pooh's hearing?? It sound (no pun intended) like things are ok now, but what was the cause? How you fix it. Is there a blog archive I should be referred to?

    ReplyDelete
  8. polish? POLISH??? He's f-ing brilliant. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kylie, thanks for visiting! I wanted to say - I didn't know that "I never do" was incorrect, SO - you taught me something! The "i.e. vs. e.g." thing was drummed into my head in school so that's how I know. *M strikes "I never do" from her vocabulary*
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lOOOve nutella...I can't believe I've never tried it with peanut butter...but I'm going to...I dip stuff in it..like fondue

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to spend the day at your house! You make my life look soooooooo boring!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated! I love to hear the nice and clever things you have to say.

Anonymous comments will be deleted. Think of this as 1st grade and always put your name on your work:).